Stop caring about what other people think about you, unless the opinion comes from a healthy advisor. If it comes from those in your life whom you can trust to honestly give you their input about your plans, hopes, and dreams, especially when you’ve asked for that input, then what they say could be worth considering.
But strangely, we often listen to what other random people think just as much or more than those trusted advisors.
If you’ve ever been told something like:
- “There’s no money in that.”
- “Why not just get a steady job and retire with a nice pension?”
- “That’s a very hard thing to do. Is it really worth it? Do you really believe that you can do that?”
…then you understand how damaging other people’s doubt can be.
The funny thing is, these people with all of the advice, have probably never done what you are trying to do.
So why put so much stock in what they have to say? Forget the naysayers, and read on to discover just some of the benefits of doing what you believe is right for you regardless of what other people have to say about it.
5 Reasons to Stop Caring about what Other People Think About You
1. Freedom—when you no longer let other people’s unhelpful suggestions and fear dictate your belief in yourself, you become capable of doing so much more.
If you want something so badly that you can taste it, and yet those around you think that it’s impossible to achieve, don’t let that nonsense deter you. You can do it! And your attitude about your ability can be the determining factor of your success or failure.
So trust yourself and go for it. Even if things don’t work out the way you wanted them to, you will feel lighter because you aren’t carrying around the additional weight of other people’s “I told you so’s”
2. Joy—when you stop letting other people influence your decisions, you can finally live the life that you want to live. This sense of independence and security allows you to take delight in all parts of your life.
When you’re able to take responsibility for your choices, the joy flows in, as your decisions are no longer burdened with everything that everyone else thinks about them.
You find peace and make room for happiness.
3. Integrity—if you are living your life authentically and in alignment with your personal values, you will experience less shame.
Going about your life rightly, and doing what you believe to be best, will boost your self-esteem and give you confidence.
Integrity requires honesty, and a willingness to take responsibility for your life. Doing this builds great strength, which will only add to your effectiveness and prosperity.
When you live with integrity, life becomes much sweeter, and you find clarity about what to do next. To stop caring about what other people think about you is totally worth it!
These next two are about Improving your Relationships with Others
4. Community—living your purpose, instead of what others think you should do, attracts those whom share common goals and dreams with you. You’ll experience serendipity—you’ll start randomly meeting people whom will encourage you, and whom will support you on your path.
With your newfound freedom, joy, and integrity, you’ll be able to do the same for them.
This sense of symbiosis will catapult you forward, as helping others and being nurtured bring you much closer to your dreams.
Once you have that, it will be much easier to let go of friendships with the naysayers in your life.
5. Connection—when you are living your authentic truth, people are naturally drawn to you. Living this way frees up the bandwidth needed to connect with someone on a deeper level.
When you’re able to really listen to another person, you will grow closer and your relationship will be strengthened.
This leads to a deeply satisfied life.
Ceasing to accept other people’s negativity will revolutionize the way you see the world.
And most of all, Believe in Yourself!
The topics covered here are only a small slice of what becomes available to you when you stop letting other people’s doubt stop you.
Be discerning about whose advice you buy and trust your gut. And most of all, Believe in Yourself!